Analysis of European Companies on the Stock Markets
Following the more cautious year 2016, the European biotech sector witnessed a volume increase of IPOs and follow-on financings in 2017. Taking all indicators into account - number and volumes of IPOs, follow-on financings and secondary listings, the 233 European biotech companies raised €5.09bn in 2017, 54% more than in 2016 (€3.3bn). Almost half of the money (42%, €2.16bn) was raised on US Nasdaq, highlighting the power of biotech-focused investors available through the US stock market. In terms of numbers, however, Europe is in the front. The majority of 15 firms opted for one of the 14 European trading centres, with three firms floating on US Nasdaq, instead. The number of US-listed European biotech companies is now at 33.
According to the analysis, a total of 19 European biotech IPOs had taken place in 2017, raising a total amount of €815m. This marks an increase of 47% compared to 2016 (€556m). The majority of 15 firms opted for one of the 14 European trading centres, only four firms floated on US Nasdaq.
These are the key findings of the Analysis of European Biotech Companies on the Stock Markets: US vs Europe released by German market analyst BIOCOM AG in January 2018.
In November 2014, BIOCOM AG published its first report "Comparative Analysis of European Biotech Stock Markets 2014", which for the first time analysed the European stock market landscape with respect to its relevance for biotech companies. In 2015 and 2016, the report was updated and all data for European biotech companies that are listed on Nasdaq US were included in the analysis. In early 2018, an update of the 2017 numbers will be published.
Highlights of the full report
- A complete overview of the European public biotech sector: With reference to the internationally comparable biotech definition of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) financial key data of all listed dedicated biotech firms - from drug developers to enzyme producers - were recorded and analysed
- An analysis of the most important trading centres in Europe with relevance for the biotech sector with respect to the number and amounts of IPOs and follow-on financings from 2012 to 2017
- SPECIAL I: Analysis of European biotech companies on NASDAQ and comparison with European exchanges
- SPECIAL II: Focus on Euronext and its services dedicated to Tech SMEs in Europe
- SPECIAL III: Analyst review of 2017 and outlook for 2018
- SPECIAL IV: Spotlight on Germany with company profiles of Affimed N.V. (AFMD| Nasdaq) and MOLOGEN AG (MGN | Deutsche Börse)
The content of the report is also published on our European Biotechnology Magazine website:
If you are interested in the full report, please use the form below, or send us an e-mail at s.wirsching[at]biocom.de.